Monday, February 1, 2010

The Proclaimers and Miss Jean Brodie (32 weeks)




This past week Heather and I have been reveling in a different kind of Scotland than the traditional, romantic one of the Corries. Heather has been trying to flesh out her Proclaimers collection(or 'The Cuplaimers' as Dylan used to call them). One of her birthday gifts was one of their more recent albums. Although they are best known for their 500 miles song, they have many great subsequent songs and albums.


Heather and I also watched "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", a film about a girls school in Scotland in the 1930's. It was far more sensational than we were expecting. Maggie Smith was very beautiful in the movie. Very thought provoking.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes! I saw "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" a few years ago and it was quite more sensational than I thought it was going to be! I did like it though. "Mona Lisa Smile" was based on that movie, but I must say that I preferred Maggie Smith.
    I also love that 500 Mile song. I'd like to hear some of their other music too. I'll have to look them up. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it just occurred to me - have you heard of the band Peatbog Faeries? They're out of the Isle of Skye and very Celtic New Age/Rock, but I'm fond of them. Their name might have something to do with it ;-), but they do have an interesting sound. You can find some of their songs on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete