Monday, March 22, 2010

Musings on St. Patrick's Day: 25 weeks

This past week, as we all know, was St. Patrick's Day. Although it is an Irish holiday, it has been an enormous part of my (and my siblings) life. Ever since I can remember we have celebrated St. Patrick's Day.

Every year the leprechauns visited our house to wreak havoc: making a mess of the house and leaving us notes and presents. We would cap off the evening by watching the ever wonderful Disney Classic DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE. I grew up with a healthy respect for banshees, I can tell you.

This year, a few days before St. Patrick's Day, I discovered a book of Heather's called CELTIC CHRISTIANITY, which I thought was rather appropriate to read at this time of the year, as it talks about such notables as St. Patrick, and St. Columba. There were some very interesting stories in this small volume. In a poem attributed to Columba, a phrase "caught my eye" so-to-speak:

"That I might search the books all,
That would be good for my soul;
At times kneeling to beloved Heaven;
At times psalm singing;
At times contemplating the King of Heaven,
Holy the Chief..."

This put me in mind of two things, the first from the Doctrine & Covenants, which (more than once) urges us to "...seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom, seek learning even by study and also by faith..." (D&C 88 and 109)
And also a line from the Proclaimers song 'Sunshine on Leith': "While the Chief puts sunshine on Leith I'll thank him for his work..."

No comments:

Post a Comment