Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lost and Found: 22 weeks

Back in February I wrote that I was reading Dorothy Wordsworth's RECOLLECTIONS OF A TOUR MADE IN SCOTLAND (a beautiful copy with photographs that my mother loaned me). Well, right after writing that post, I lost the book! It wasn't in any of the regular and familiar piles of books we have about the place, and I was quite flummoxed. Just the other day, however, I discovered it, residing peacefully among Heather's library of spinning and weaving books. It is not certain how it got there.

So, in any case, I am just now launching into the charming RECOLLECTIONS of Dorothy. She certainly has an excellent way of describing things. Here are some examples:

"It might have seemed a valley which nature had kept to herself for pensive thoughts and tender feelings."
or
"...it was indeed a wild and singular spot - to use a woman's illustration, like a collection of patchwork, made of pieces as they might have chanced to have been cut by the mantua-maker..."

She also mentions dress, both of the Scottish people they see, and herself (she wears a Spencer Jacket and a grey cloak on a particularly cold morning.)Wonderful.

1 comment: