Friday, January 13, 2012

The Artist



When I first heard about "The Artist" it was from my friend Kevin Brownlow, who saw it at the Bologna film festival and said, "don't miss the brand-new silent." This was in July. I've heard about it since - and have discussed it with my siblings. I went to a film with Rachel in November or December (I think it was...) and saw a trailer for it, and fairly exploded with excitement!

I've seen silent films on the big screen, of course I have. It wasn't that. It was that I was in a regular cinema with regular folks (not silent film enthusiasts) watching regular films, that thrilled me so much. Often in the past when I've watched silent films, I've imagined what it was like for people when, oh, say The Thief of Bagdad, or Flesh & the Devil or The Gold Rush were brand new, and you were going to the cinema to see them for the first time. And here was such an opportunity - seeing a new silent film in the big theatre! I was delighted by the prospect.



So, on Tuesday the 10th, Rachel & I decided we'd go. In honour of seeing a silent film, I dressed up in one of my 20's dresses (I used to have so many, and the truth is, I only actually have one with me here in Glasgow!). I put make-up on 'n everythin'!

My ticket!
It was a fabulous film. I loved every minute of it, and was touched by the pathos in the story. The leading man, George Valentin (a nod, I suppose, at Rudolf Valentino) really reminded me of John Gilbert (an old favourite of mine) with a dash of Douglas Fairbanks thrown in. I think they even made an oblique reference to Greta Garbo, when the female lead uses the line "I want to be alone." I was on a happy buzz the rest of the evening - I always forget how silent films affect me!

Some stills from the film.

Jean Dujardin as George Valentin

Bérénice Bejo as Peppy Miller
When we got home, I asked Rachel if I could show her a few clips (from Youtube) of John Gilbert. She very kindly humoured me. I chose a couple scenes from Flesh & the Devil with Greta Garbo, as that is such a thrilling example - I think!
The famous kissing scene

John Gilbert

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Your excitement comes through so strongly :) I can't wait to see this!!! Wish we could have seen it together :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heather - your post oozes excitement and passion for silent film! It made me smile reading it and I'm so thrilled for you! I understand those spine tingling moments when the present touches the past for a brief moment - like you being able to see a silent film with just every day people and not just enthusiasts.

    So, I heard about this film on the radio. I wonder if it's out near me... I'm so glad you liked it. I really need to sit down with you some day for you to show me your favorite silents. Funnily, Erik watches more silent films than I do. He's a big Buster Keaton fan. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to add that one of my favorite parts was where he was wearing the wig and he reminded me so much of Douglas Fairbanks!!! It was all sheer genius!!!

    ReplyDelete