Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Valentines Day

I always maintain that Valentines Day can be an enjoyable day, whether one has a significant other or not! I actually have never had a boyfriend on Valentines Day, yet I have always enjoyed it. Some memorable Valentines Days include: 9th grade at school (in a pink dress) and getting pink roses from my dad - delivered to me during a class!; walking downtown to the local used bookshop and buying 'Aurora Leigh' by Elizabeth Barrett Browning; and dressing up in a vintage frock (pink again!) and going out to a restaurant (with original decor from the 1930s) in Salt Lake City with my parents.

So, this Valentines Day, I went into the city centre to the Glasgow Film Theatre (a cinema that opened in the 1930s) to see Brief Encounter on the big screen! I had only seen the film once before, years ago, so I was really looking forward to seeing it again. It was magical. And so intense! For reserved, English people the passion and agony is quite overwhelming. I even got a little teary-eyed at the closing scene. It was fabulous. (It also makes me wonder why train scenes are so romantic!)

Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson in BRIEF ENCOUNTER

My cinema ticket - and my subway ticket as well.

1 comment: