Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Auld Kirk and Brig O' Doon

After visiting the museum, we walked over to the Auld Kirk, which was there in Burns time, and also is featured in the poem "Tam o' Shanter. This was lovely. We also walked over to the Burns Monument (erected in the 1820s I believe). For some reason I was not interested in this at all (I get contrary sometimes, when visiting places), and I don't think I took any pictures of it. Then we walked over the Brig O' Doon, also featured in the poem. There is no connection to the musical of the similar name, Brigadoon, though I like to think there is. I was watching Brigadoon when my mother called me and told me my niece Katie was born. I also thought of the lyrics from the wonderful song "The Whole of the Moon" (by the Waterboys) which go, "I saw the rain dirty valley; you saw Brigadoon"

The auld kirk. There was quite a crowd milling around - I like to take pictures with no-on in them,  but I think I did pretty well given the circumstances!

Like the Govan churchyard, this too was full of beautiful old graves.

Despite disapproving of horseshoes, I do have a fondness for blacksmiths in general, and this grave is *amazing*!

This is the back of the stone above.
What Burns had to say about it...

A peek at the inside (there was a metal gate in the doorway that was locked, unfortunately).


Another stone with marvellous images.



The view of the river, from the bridge.

It is quite a steep bridge. I was trying to capture that in this photo, but failed to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely picture of you and Rachel! Ah, the good old Brig O'Doon!! Were you tempted to break into song--a la Gene Kelly?

    ReplyDelete