Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Glasgow Film Theatre


The Glasgow Film Theatre (or GFT as it is called by all and sundry) is such a fabulous place. I have already mentioned, I am sure, some of the films I have seen here. Well, within the past month, they had two fabulous 1940s films: Laura and Casablanca. I was very excited indeed to be able to see these on the big screen! I went to a matinee of Laura and Rachel came along with me as well! For Casablanca I met up with a girl in the YSA that I don't know that well, but since we both wanted to see the film, I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to be sociable and get to know her a little more.

And, of course, both were fabulous! Gene Tierney (in Laura) is *so* lovely! And it always amuses me to see a very young Vincent Price in his role as a philandering southerner.

The GFT used to be called the Cosmopolitan (but called the Cosmo) and has been a cinema since it opened in  1939.

It was too bright a day, and so you can't really see the poster. But I was just excited that there *was* a poster, and I could pretend I was going to see it all brand-new!

Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney in Laura
As it was late afternoon, this shows up much better. Of course, seeing Casablanca on the big screen was fabulous! What a cast! 

1 comment:

  1. Jealous, of course. I'm so glad you had to opportunity to see those old movies on the big screen. And the posters are great! I actually like your photo of the Laura poster--the reflection of the building makes it kind of artsy.

    ReplyDelete