Sunday, June 19, 2011

Catching up: London in May

On my way to New York I spent a day in London. It had been eight years since my last visit there. I decided to go to The Museum of London, which I had never visited previously. It was a fabulous museum. I took A LOT of photos at said museum, here are only a few of the highlights:
Bone items: a spindle-whorl, a shuttle and a pin from Anglo-Saxon London


A skull and some charred bits & bobs (coins, grain & pottery) from when Boudicca sacked London!!

A toy knight, circa 1300. Who knew they had toy soldiers even back then?!


Leather bottles and other such things, Medieval. 

Hairnet and wire for head-gear, 15th Century

Jumping forward several hundred years - a lovely 20's gown.

1910's gown.

This and the following picture are lovely paintings of London.


A dress made for Elizabeth II coronation.

Detail, as well as a toy set sold at the occasion as well.

A 1960's Beatles dress!

I came across this just down the road from the museum.

Lovely St Paul's cathedral, also very close to the museum.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely! I'm so glad you finally got to this museum--I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, cool! This was the first museum I went to on my study abroad. I'm glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about time! I was getting really sick of checking your blog with nothing to show for it. I want that Beatles dress, and I am also very fond of that 1910's dress as well!!! Fab!

    ReplyDelete