Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wandering the streets of London

After leaving the museum, I decided I would just relax and wander around. I wanted to enjoy London, and not run helter-skelter.
Temple Bar! For hundreds of years there was  a gate of some sort where Fleet Street becomes The Strand. The present structure was designed by Wren, and traitors heads used to be put on spikes on the top of the gate. It was moved in the late 1800's to a park, where it languished until it was brought back to London in 2004 near its original home. It was quite a thrill to see this bit of history back in London!

A statue commemorating Dr Johnson's cat. I have seen Dr Johnson's house before, but somehow missed the cat statue in my previous visit.

Home of the amazing "brain box" Dr Johnson.

Inside St Dunstan's, a church along Fleet Street

St Dunstan's 

Also St Dunstan's





A statue of Dr Johnson, on the back side of St Clements Danes Church.

3 comments:

  1. I love the history about the bridge that you posted. I never knew about that nor have I ever been to that spot. Ill have to look it up next time im in England. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about that gate either. And it looks so funny when you write "that splendid brain box." I laughed and laughed. Sure wish I could have wandered around with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you finally got to see Temple Bar! And Johnson's cat!!

    ReplyDelete