Saturday, September 25, 2010

Catching up: Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum

There is a lovely way to get to the Kelvingrove museum, via the University, along a road called Kelvin Way. It is lined with trees, and has an old fashioned aspect. I noticed, as I walked along, a tree planted by the women of Glasgow when the got the vote, in 1918.
I hope the inscription for the tree is legible in this photo

The Women's Vote Tree
Here are some of the statues on the bridge on Kelvin Way:

I don't know how long I spent in the museum - it must have been at least two hours, and I only explored one of the floors. But there were some really amazing things:
A man's jacket, mid 1700's


A beautiful dress, almost an exact match as the one in the above portrait
Some other interesting things I saw:
A stuffed Soay sheep from St. Kilda

A cup and ring stone, 3000 to 1700 BCE
Dead Birds commonly seen in Glasgow!...See below:
Hooded Crow or Corbie - though I haven't seen any living

They had this labeled as 'Carrion Crow' These I have seen

Waxwings. I haven't seen any of these yet either

Magpie!

1 comment:

  1. OH my gosh! So much--the women's vote tree is awesome! And I don't think I knew that's what a hooded crow looks like. And the dress!! I want one. And the monuments, and the sheep!--oh, I wish I could be there, too. So many fascinating things to do and see. Lucky Mairi!

    ReplyDelete