Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Old Glasgow

Heather started me on a mystery series set in Medieval Glasgow. In these books, the main character often walks down Gallowgate, and imagine my astonishment when I realised that The Barras (an outdoor market) was located on Gallowgate!

It's Heather who found out about The Barras, by researching The Barrowland Ballroom, from an Amy MacDonald song we all liked. For the history of the Barras (and it is an interesting one) see:
http://www.glasgow-barrowland.com/

The entrance to the outdoor market
So, I took a few pictures, and wandered around the marked a bit (it wasn't that far from the Panopticon Music Hall. I went here on the same day, it's just taken me a few days to post the pictures!)
The sign of the man with a "barra". There used to be something like this on top of the ballroom building, but it was too conspicuous to German airplanes during WW2 and so it was removed.
The Barrowland Ballroom - once a dance hall, now a concert venue

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! I can't believe you were there! By the way, how are you liking your new camera?

    ReplyDelete