Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Medieval Fayre!

Thanks to my friend Stacy (who told me about it, reminded me about it and invited me along) I went to a sort-of medieval craft day at the St Mungo museum of religious life & art. It was fabulous! They had several owls there, as well as a falcon-y looking bird. The owls were stunning! So large and quite majestic and serious looking creatures! Alas, they didn't allow photography (that is, unless you paid them to take a picture of you with one of the birds, but I didn't do that). 


They had people (dressed up, I'm glad to say!) that were demonstrating various crafts: stone carving, the making of lavender sachets, minting, or stamping coins, and so on. This was all inside the museum. Outside, they had butter making, a story-telling-cum-beadworking tent (yurt, actually!) and a stage with medieval singers. I was entranced by the singing. There were quite a few songs that I already knew ("Nova, nova", "Sumer is icumen in", "Gaudete" and "Miri it is"), as well as a few I did not recognise. They were all beautiful songs, and so expertly performed. To give you a taste, here's a link to a recording of "Miri it is":


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvesKl8_W8



A model of a boat.

Look at this lovely ginger man! I asked if I could take his picture, and he accepted and handed me the shield and sword. 


Ah, the lovely wee coos!

Pretty serious horns, though!
It was a really lovely day. It was nice to meet Stacy's family (her mum, her brother and his wife & 3 children). They were all very nice. We also went inside the cathedral, which is always lovely, especially as it's been months & months since I've visited the cathedral.

1 comment:

  1. Your ginger fellow is fabulous! What fun--I'm so glad you were able to attend.

    ReplyDelete