Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Glasgow Trams




I suddenly remembered, in the midst of digging my way through all these books about Scotland, that between Heather and myself, we already have quite a few books about said place (more about that later). And then I remembered that I'd watched a documentary about the last tramcars in Glasgow before they were dismantled in the early 1960's. What's more, this documentary was directed by my dear friend Kevin Brownlow. My own copy of this documentary is, like so many things, languishing in Utah, but I was able to order it through the library and watched it yesterday.

It was fascinating! There was so much I had forgotten. I took notes, not that that lets you off the hook. You should all go watch it (actually, it's a sort-of special feature after the documentary MILLAY AT STEEPLETOP which he also made in the 1960's). The writer, one George Behrend, sympathized greatly with those employed as tram workers or drivers, and bemoaned the fact that the fast-paced modern world was driving them out. It spoke of the advantages of trams: extremely cheap fare, cosiness and camaraderie. One particular line stood out to me: "Glasgow enters the 1960's at the expense of its character." Another tragic aspect was the loss of employment facing the women. During the 1st World War a lot of female drivers were hired, and kept on. Apparently in other cities this wasn't done. And the bus system didn't hire women drivers in the '60's. So all those female tram drivers were out of a job. It really is a moving documentary.
When I was in Glasgow in 2003 I went to the Glasgow Transport Museum, and had my picture taken by one of the trams. I will include a picture.

1 comment: