Monday, October 5, 2009

Leabharlann

Leabharlann is the Gaelic for Library. Literally it means bookshelf, if I'm correctly remembering what Donald told me. In any case, aren't libraries smashing? I suppose, since my sister Heather works at one I'm a little partial. I asked her to order me in some books about Glasgow (if there were any) and Scotland in general. She certainly did! On Friday these are the books that came in for me:
  1. Glasgow, photographs: Douglas Corrance, Commentary: Edward Boyd
  2. The Picts, Isabel Henderson
  3. The Scottish Kitchen, Christopher Trotter
  4. Stone Age Farmers Beside the Sea, Caroline Trotter
  5. Scotland: a portrait of the country through it's festivals and traditions
  6. Scotland: the place of visions, Jan Morris & Paul Wakefield
  7. Christmas in Scotland
  8. Journey Through Scotland, Ross Finlay
  9. The Yellow on the Broom, Betsy Whyte
  10. The Sea for Breakfast, Lillian Beckwith
  11. Beautiful Just! and Bruach Blend, Lillian Beckwith
  12. Scotland's Empire and the Shaping of the Americas, 1600-1815, T.M. Devine
  13. By These Ten Bones, Clare B Dunkle
  14. Selkie , Laurie Brooks
  15. Scotland, an Anthology, Maurice Lindsay
  16. The Other Country: Legends & Fairy Tales of Scotland, Marion Lockhead
  17. Seasons on Harris, David Yeadon
  18. Adventurers and Exiles: The Great Scottish Exodus, Marjory Harper
  19. Scotland Forever Home: an introduction to the homeland for American and other Scots, Geddes MacGregor
  20. The Intelligent Travellers guide to Historic Scotland, Philip A. Crowl
  21. God Bless the Borders!, Lavinia Derwent
  22. In Search of Ancient Scotland, Gerald M., & Dorothy A. Ruzicki
  23. Stone Voices: the Search for Scotland, Neal Ascherson
  24. Claymore and Kilt: tales of Scottish Kings & Castles, Sorche Nic Leodhas.
  25. Fodors See it Scotland
  26. AA Scottish Highlands
  27. Knopf Guides: Scotland
  28. Visions of Scotland (DVD)

Whew! What a list! And I have three weeks to either read or peruse them. And some of them look quite delicious. I'm very excited about the Sorche Nic Leodhas book, we have others of hers, and they are excellent. We have:

  • Gaelic Ghosts,
  • Ghosts go Haunting
  • Twelve Great Black Cats

I think it will be good to immerse myself in Scottish Ghost stories this season. The two subjects go together so well! Well...here's to happy reading. Slainte mhath!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is quite the list. I would be so overwhelmed! Some of those titles look really interesting, especially the ghost ones. I'll have to check those out myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck getting through all those books Mairi! Tell Heather to show a little more restraint next time! Ha. Just kidding. Have fun with it....

    ReplyDelete