Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Churchyard

There were so many fabulous gravestones - many of which were from the 1700's, and most of them had skulls on them, so I had to take pictures!
Notice the lovely thistle at the bottom of this stone.


One of my fellow students asked me what the skull & cross-bones symbolised. I told her I supposed it was Momento Mori. "Oh," she replied, "I was hoping it had something to do with pirates."





Not a grave, I know. But I hope this came out - seeing the stained glass windows on the other wall, through the plain windows. It was a lovely effect in real life, I'm not sure if the picture captures it.

4 comments:

  1. Keeping up the fine tradition of having your picture taken in a grave yard, I see!
    Awesome stones--such a variety of skull. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...don't rain on your classmate's Pirate Graveyard parade! Great pix, Mairi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be jolly if it was a graveyard for pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all those skulls & the stained glass (through plain glass) picture is great!

    ReplyDelete