Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Event!

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the archaeology department at Glasgow University. When the archaeology department was recently threatened with cuts (which, as far as I understand, will NOT take place!) this event was planned to draw awareness to the joy and wonder of archaeology!

I helped out by spending a large part of the day spinning! So that was fun. It was a good day (quite warm too - 66 degrees F) and there were quite a lot of people throughout the day.

Approaching the main gates to go to the archaeology event.

One booth had archaeology cakes: this one is a stone circle w/ a burial cist & cairn in the middle - complete with skeleton! Yay!



A styrofoam "stone" circle with cist in the middle.

Ooh! Real bones!!!!

A mini dig. Not a real skeleton!


Ceremonial dancing around the cist.

Barbed wire, candles & a pony shoe from WW1!

Burying someone in the cist.

Neolithic garb. Very fashionable!

3 comments:

  1. This looks so fabulous! I love the shortbread henges! Wish I could have attended! You should have had someone take a picture of you, silly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks awesome. I especially love the cakes. And the dig with the kid standing next to it with the skeletal hand? There is no way that the USU Museum of Anthropology where I worked would have ever put a fake skeleton hand in the dirt! hahaha! Did you get a lot of curious watchers as you were spinning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, were you just doing a demonstration, or was it more hands-on? I sure wish I could have gone!!!

    ReplyDelete