Thursday, April 14, 2011

Glasgow Cathedral (again!) and the Necropolis

I know I've been to Glasgow Cathedral several times, but really, you can't see cathedrals too often, I believe. Besides, I thought that the scaffolding was gone from the front of the cathedral. I was mistaken in this (I believe it's only shifted a little, and thus, from one side of it, thought it was gone). Nevertheless, the cathedral is lovely in the spring. I also went to The Necropolis (an enormous Victorian cemetery above the cathedral) which was very accessible from the cathedral (I had thought it at more of a distance). I also visited the Provand's Lordship once again. It's good to tramp around old Glasgow from time to time.
The Cathedral with blossoming trees. As seen on the way to The Necropolis.

Be sure to click on this picture to make it bigger so's you can make out the words: this is the fellow who wrote "Wee Willie Winkie"


An ivy-clad Gothic monument. Very Victorian.


This was inside the mausoleum pictured above - the hole through which something like an arch could be seen. Intriguing and a little spooky.


There was a Wylie named on this stone, so I took a picture.


Isn't this fellow fabulous? Lying out like a Medieval knight.





A magpie sitting atop an obelisk.



A stunning view from the top of the Necropolis.



Inside the Provand's Lordship - a Pieta from the 16th Century.

Detail of her face - can you see the tears on her cheek?

The Provand's Lordship from the gardens.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely pics. What a lovely cemetery! Spring in Glasgow looks wonderful! And you're right about cathedrals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, JEALOUS!!! I love those top views of the cathedral! And that Pieta is fabulous! I love all of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just be your roommate for the summer! ha ha I want to see all these places, they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete