Saturday, November 27, 2010

The 1st Snow in Glasgow!

Last night I was having a devilishly hard time getting to sleep, so when I got a text at midnight (!) it wasn't a vexation, as it didn't wake me up, sadly...Anyway, this text was informing me that it was SNOWING!!!! So I hopped out of bed and ran to my window and peeked out. It was quite windy outside, and this is what I saw:
I apologise for the fuzziness of the picture - and the water on the window, but it does give an idea of the late night beauty of the snow. This is how it looked in the morning (er, much later in the morning, I mean!):
This is the view out my window
After work in the morning, I met up with Rachel in the city centre and we shopped around at St Enoch square market where they had lots of fun little booths. We also made a trip to the Glasgow Cathedral, for although Rachel lives a hop, skip and a jump from the cathedral, she has never been there! We then wandered around the city some more, and walked by George Square, which is quite transformed! Not only is there ice-skating, there is a carousel and other rides as well! Some time soon I will have to taste the pleasures of the Christmasy George Square! We then had some lovely hot chocolate and sweets in a charming cafe (which again made me think of the 44 Scotland Street books - as it was a cafe you had to walk downstairs to!) and that ended our nice day out.
The snow on Great Western Road (crossing the Kelvin River)
Buskers playing some very lovely Christmas music - but they must have been very cold! The highest it got today was around 26 degrees (F) which is -3 (c)
Glasgow Cathedral in the late afternoon
George Square, Christmas style

One of the lions, bedecked with snow, George Square

1 comment: