Saturday, November 6, 2010

Second Archaeology Fieldtrip: Glasgow Cathedral!


I hadn't realised that the cathedral was on our list of sites to see in our second field trip. Not that I mind going back at all! The day was cool, rainy and misty, so the atmosphere was quite different from the sunny day I had two weeks ago.
The cover of the well was open today! Our teacher told us that when the church was expanded, the well was incorporated into the wall of the cathedral, but it was, perhaps, an earlier holy well of the area.
Aren't these figures interesting?

These are from the Pulpitum

Also, something I saw this time which I hadn't seen before, very near the cathedral, the oldest house in Glasgow:



2 comments:

  1. How exciting that you got to see the Provands house (isn't that what it's called?) Anyway--awesome! And I love those figures on the cathedral. Cathedrals are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the history of the house? I can't believe how sturdy it looks!

    ReplyDelete