Saturday, November 6, 2010

3rd Stop: Linlithgow Palace

Approaching the palace via the "new" entrance

This was probably my favorite, just because I have such a weakness for ruined castles. They are so delicious! We learned that there had been a royal residence there since the 12th century! It was mostly destroyed by fire in 1424, and was then rebuilt by James I who had recently returned from captivity and wanted to show off his power. Then it was refurbished in the 1470's by James III, for his queen Margaret of Denmark. The "new" main entrance and a very impressive fountain were built by James V.
James V's entrance
The Fountain

The Great Hall. There were 150 of us in there, and still there was plenty of room.



The light from the window gives this a ghosty effect!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful castle--wonderful ghost! I'll have to read up on it. Although those Stewarts were kind of strange--I read in my Isabel Dalhousie book about one of the Jameses (IV maybe?)thinking that all children if not exposed to language would start speaking Hebrew--so he put a small child on an island in the Clyde with a mute nurse.

    ReplyDelete