Sunday, March 25, 2012

Glasgow past and present: Last day of classes



 
Down on the Kelvin Walkway on my last day of classes (23 March 2012)

On my last day of classes (Friday the 23rd) my Interpreting archaeology essay was due as well as my Field Report! The field report was based on a simulated dig we did at the North Woodside Flint Mill - which is a real place, the ruins of which languish on the northern banks of the Kelvin river. We went to the mill and walked around and measured and drew the foundations and such. Then sections of the "trenches" were made up by the archaeology department, and there were finds and everything. This is what we worked on all semester, and it was really exciting and very enjoyable (though I'm no good at measuring!)

These are some pictures taken during our first trip, back in January:
The gates leading into the mill (with some archaeologists and their students lurking within)
The mill, with the kiln beyond.

The foundations of the drying shed (they would use flint for use in pottery: they would grind the flint, make it into a paste, and dry it here in the drying shed).

Drying shed, with kiln beyond.

This runs beneath the mill building. 

The mill lade running to the mill.

These are some photographs I found with the research I did for the report. This is how the kiln once looked. It was dismantled and the cement cap was put over it.

The mill in the 1950s (Partick Photography Club)

The mill looking very busy in the 1920s. These are those front gates, with the mill on the right, and the kiln beyond!
So, after I turned in all my papers, I thought I'd go for a walk, and went back to the mill and took some more pictures. It was a beautiful, sunny day.

I tried to take a picture from a similar vantage point to the photo above. How different it looks!

Looking down on the Kelvin from Queen Margaret Drive. The weir is visible halfway down this stretch of river. When I got down onto the Kelvin walkway, just before the weir, I saw an interesting bird - somewhat duck-like, it was black and grey with a red beak. I found out it was a Moorhen!








In the evening, Rachel, her mother, her brother and I went out for ice cream (a new place that opened up just a couple shops down from our flat)



1 comment:

  1. What a fascinating place!! How sad that it's all just gone. I'm glad you found those pictures of how it used to look! What a fun class!!

    ReplyDelete