Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lowther Terrace


So, if you're going to the LDS church by foot, you walk west along Great Western Road till you reach a little footpath just beyond a bus stop. This goes along Lowther Terrace (and continues up to Redlands Terrace, which then leads to Julian Avenue, where the church is). Well, there are three houses in Lowther Terrace that are really beautiful. Built in the early 1900s, I've enjoyed looking at them as I walk past. But since about early December, they've been boarded up, and I've been wondering why. The upper stories aren't boarded shut, and I was able to see inside one of the rooms one evening (it was all lit up, making it seem quite ghostly!) and it was richly decorated (well, the walls and curtains were at least, which is all of the room that I could see. I've taken my camera with me ever since, hoping for another glimpse inside that room, but alas, it hasn't been lit up again. I was able to find out some fascinating and detailed information on the houses, PLEASE take a look. There's no. 8, no. 9 and no. 10 Lowther Terrace:
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/168403/details/glasgow+8+lowther+terrace/
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/247924/details/glasgow+9+lowther+terrace/
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/247925/details/glasgow+10+lowther+terrace/
I've obviously become a little obsessed with these houses. I even gave a presentation in Gaelic about them!

See the boards on the doors and some of the windows? (they're actually metal)


A glimpse into a less lavish room, on one of the upper floors.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm so glad you posted your pictures of them! So intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and more links to more pictures!!

    ReplyDelete