Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Paisley Abbey

The abbey was founded in the mid 12th century, so of course it has seen a lot of history. Even William Wallace may have been educated at the abbey. It has been burned several times (once by the English in 1307) and so it has seen a lot of restoration and alteration over the years. The tomb of Marjorie Bruce, the daughter of Robert the Bruce, is in the abbey. She was only 19 when she died after giving birth to her son prematurely due to falling off her horse.


The place was full of gorgeous stained-glass windows, I feel certain many of them must have been Morris & Co.




from the late 15th century.



This was just in the floor. A lovely old carved stone.

The base of Marjorie Bruce's tomb.


A very unusual effigy from others I've seen. (she died in 1316)



The Cloisters, restored in 1914.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting all these lovely photos Mairi. I just love seeing it all and wish I could be there with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place looks absolutely fabulous. Her effigy is quite unique. And I love that 15th century carving! Abbeys are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I love these pictures! Paisley is officially now on my list of places I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, Mairi!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete