Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ancient music echoes in the crumbling wall

After viewing the chapel, I wandered around the rest of the Eilean Mòr, viewing the foundation stones of many another building, and enjoying the complete silence of the place. I appreciated being alone, as I felt I was able to really get a sense of the place.
Looking back to the chapel

Information about the great hall and such.


Inside the great hall.



The Great Hall (which is actually quite small)



The council island - once a crannog! A crannog was an ancient house built on a man-made island in rivers and lochs in Scotland.





Remnants of the old stone causeway.





Having a quiet moment in the chapel.



2 comments:

  1. I want to go back in time to see the Crannog! How cool is that?! Some of those pictures are absolutely breathtaking Mairi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, Mairi. Why was it that everyone was always against the Highlanders and Islanders? Even the Scottish kings!

    ReplyDelete