Friday, September 30, 2011

Details of The Paisley Abbey

As Rachel hadn't been to Paisley before, we went around to the Sma' Shots cottages and the Abbey. There was a charming older gentleman at the Abbey - not exactly a tour-guide, but he gave us a map and pointed out some helpful things. I couldn't tell if he was English or Scottish - his accent was very genteel.
I tried photographing these last time, but they didn't turn out.  As I was taking a picture, that older fellow came over and said, "Those are Burne-Jones." I smiled and replied, "I thought so! They have a Burne-Jones look about them." 

Another Burne-Jones window

This is NOT Burne-Jones, but I still liked it - especially the figure with the skull.

They must have been preparing for a harvest festival . I find harvest festivals so old-fashioned and appealing.

This was part of the restoration work carried out in the Abbey in the 1910's. 

This, however, is an older fragment - apparently a water spout came out of his mouth.

More restoration work - really beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. I love those two figures with the beehive! And the angel with the skull is very cool! It looks like they need a few corn dollies to add to that collection of fall harvest things. (Even if it is a bit on the pagan side...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Sarah! Wish I could attend a harvest festival like that--seems so medieval, (and pagan!) and reminds me of "Lark Rise" as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Mairi, esp. the Burne-Jones!

    ReplyDelete