Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Museum of Islay Life

Here is the museum. I'm wondering if it used to be a church, as there are graves all around it. The building was charming and so was the museum.

Seagulls atop the bell.

The museum.

Another box bed, with examples of local weaving and knitting and the like.

A lovely wooden cradle.

More Scottish hot water bottles! I love them!


A good luck charm given to a bride. It was on the doll in the bed, as pictured below. I am assuming that is how it came.


Old telephone switchboard. 

Ship's figurehead found on the beach and restored by a local high school art class. 

Yay! A skull!

Detail of a carved Medieval stone.

An early crucifix. I love it! It reminds me of my reproduction Celtic Cross, rather similar to this - with that large-eyed, simple Celtic look. Close-up below:


In the lid of a chest of animal medicines.

Leather shoes for horses! Hah!

I just like the word 'Nickytams'.

1910's dress.

Not exactly sure on this one. Earlier than 1910s.

1880s.



A grave with Gaelic spelled names!

1 comment:

  1. Freaking awesome stuff!! I LOVE the crucifix! But what's with the weird "good luck charm". Singing "The Campbells are Coming" is good luck??

    ReplyDelete