Friday, September 9, 2011

I wish I had a window over the bay

After lunching at the "Gaelic College" I walked with Tomas (a friend of Laura's - he's very sweet on her!) to the nearby town, Bowmore (I think in Gaelic it's Baile Mòr). This was a charming wee town with lots of jolly shops! It's biggest attraction, though, is the round church, built thus so that the devil wouldn't be able to hide in the corners (this jogs a memory of round barns in upstate NY - is the reasoning the same? Is the devil more likely to hide in a church or a barn?!)

The view near the top of the road looking towards the bay.

The round church.

Inside the church.


The WW1 plaque inside the church - with Gaelic! I cut off the 1st letter of the 1st word - it should read Gràdh. I think it's the phrase "Greater love hath no man..."



You can't tell, but the bird on the grave is not a crow, it's a jackdaw.

Another jackdaw. I tried getting closer, but they all flew off.




A lovely stone building in the village.


1 comment:

  1. So, was it a "big town"?
    I love the round church. Very unique.
    Fabulous cross!

    ReplyDelete