Saturday, June 16, 2012

Whaligoe Steps

The Whaligoe Steps are a fascinating piece of local history. Man-made steps built into the side of the cliff, they were used by fisher-women in the 18th & 19th centuries. There are a disputed number of steps - anywhere between 330 and 365. Rachel & I forgot to count them ourselves. 


Those fisher-women must have been nimble creatures, and sure-footed as well! The steps were wet, and I made my way down them slowly and daintily (as my shoes have no tread). I can't imagine those women were as missish, with creels full of fish on their backs! 
Fisher lassies, photographed by Robert Adamson in the 1840s
Going down the steps.


At the bottom - well, nearly. There were a few more steps down to the rocky beach, but Rachel & I didn't attempt them.



The remains of a building - used for salting the fish, I think.


The ruined salt building.






Going back up!

Though this & the next picture are looking down, I took them on our way back up.



There is a cafe at the top of the steps (they have the most AMAZING hot chocolate EVER) and this was the view out the window. Apologies for the streaky window, but what if that was your view!?! I couldn't get over it. 

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible view! And I love that third from the last photo of the steps curving to the left with the flowers. You might need to e-mail me a copy of that one! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those stairs look a little treacherous! But how beautiful it is there!!

    ReplyDelete