Monday, September 10, 2012

Medieval Fieldtrip: Glenearn House

Next to Exmagirdle Church is the old Laird's house - which was occupied until the late 70s or early 80s. The current Laird lives in a more modern house, in a completely different part of the property. 

Though after one glimpse of this place, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to live here. Built in 1548, it is beautifully situated, and boasts an ornamental lake. I love houses from this era (see Kelmscott Manor: http://www.kelmscottmanor.co.uk/home). It was such a serene and beautiful spot! I wanted desperately to see inside, as I was sure there must be some lovely woodwork. Steve Driscoll told us that although it is unoccupied, the current owner has made the roof secure, so that it doesn't fall to rack and ruin.
The gateway to the house.

The Doo-cot (as Dove-cotes are called in Scotland)

Another view.

The house.



A glimpse of the ornamental lake.

Steps for mounting your horse.


The lake.


The stables.


One of the farm buildings, near the house.

The farm.


2 comments:

  1. WOW! This is the house of my dreams!!! (As long as it isn't drafty, hahaha!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh! That house is so beautiful! Why doesn't the laird live there? How sad! I want to live there, please?

    ReplyDelete