Sunday, September 2, 2012

Neolithic Perthshire Fieldtrip: Part Two

After the stone circle, we drove into Aberfeldy and visited a whiskey distillery, and had a little snack (cakes, teas, and the like). We tehn went to a small, little known church: St Mary's Church, in a little town called Grand Tully (there was also a place nearby called Tullybelton. I love these place names!). This, obviously, was our first departure from the prehistoric, but since it was in the area, we had to see it, and I'm glad we did! 

It was first built in the 1530s, and then was renovated in 1636 by Sir William Stewart, who commissioned a painted ceiling. This is intriguing, as it was after the reformation, yet he was wanting ornamentation in his church. The church was in use until 1833, and then was rescued in the 1940s.
The large middle panel - don't you love the skeleton?



I think this was my favourite, and it says, "Of me for I am lowlie and humble"









The graves around the church


The church. Very simple and unassuming

The wall around the church.

Farm buildings near the church.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't really noticed at first how plain the church is on the exterior. The painted ceiling is rather overwhelming--in a good way!!

    ReplyDelete